2020 SUMMER RESEARCH LABORATORY ON RUSSIA, EASTERN EUROPE, AND EURASIA
June 15 – August 9, 2020
*Call for Applications*
Application Deadline: February 10, 2020
The Summer Research Laboratory on Russia, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia (SRL) invites applications for the upcoming 2020 session. This year’s lab will open on June 15 and continue through August 9. During this time, we encourage researchers to visit Urbana-Champaign, enjoy convenient housing on the Illinois campus, and use the unparalleled research collections and databases offered by our University Library. The skilled librarians of our Slavic Reference Service will be available for consultations, to make sure that you not only find everything Illinois has to offer, but also identify the most important sources elsewhere. Thus, whether you are beginning a new project or finishing an old one, a visit to the SRL provides a great opportunity to get important work done.
Established over four decades ago, the SRL has from its inception sought to make first-class research resources available to the broadest possible community of scholars. Our top-five research Library holds one of North America’s largest collections of contemporary and historical materials on the REEES region, in a broad range of languages and formats. For generations, scholars preparing for fieldwork have found a visit to SRL an invaluable way to exhaust US-based resources so as to make more efficient plans for their visits to libraries and archives abroad. In addition, each year we host a range of research and training workshops, discussion groups, and conferences during the first month of our Lab. These allow Lab participants to learn more about ongoing research in a variety of disciplines and create networks for their own professional development.
WHAT THE LAB OFFERS:
- Inexpensive housing on the University of Illinois campus. Please note that most of the housing offered at the SRL is shared. Single rooms will be available at an additional cost.
- Short-term grants in support of your visit, made possible by generous support by the Department of State’s Title VIII program (see below).
- Full access to the physical and electronic collections of the University of Illinois Library.
- Supporting use of the Library’s technological resources, including advanced scanning equipment for the making of digital copies of books, microfilm, and other resources.
- Consultations with the Slavic Reference Service.
- Workshops, film nights, and other opportunities to meet other scholars and researchers.
- The help of REEEC staff and local scholars in answering logistical questions related to your stay.
FINANCIAL AID AND SHORT-TERM RESEARCH GRANTS
Due to a change in funding for SRL, we have revised our grant guidelines and eligibility requirements. Before submitting an application, please read the Grants page carefully. Please note that only U.S. citizens may apply for Title VIII housing and travel grants, and research stipends.
Scholars participating in the SRL may apply for up to 12 days of on-campus housing at the shared rate.
Scholars may apply for travel grants of up to $500 for their trip to Urbana-Champaign. Eligible expenses are restricted to travel to and from Champaign-Urbana. Award recipients must provide appropriate receipts to receive reimbursement.
Scholars may apply for generous research stipends of up to $1000 for their trip to Urbana-Champaign. To be eligible for a research stipend, scholars must stay for at least 5 days.
A limited amount of funding may be available for international applicants.
For more information and to apply, please see https://reeec.illinois.edu/programming-and-events/summer-research-laboratory/