The Graduate College's Dissertation Completion Fellowships help outstanding UIUC graduate students complete the doctoral degree by providing a one-year stipend of $20,000 along with waivers of tuition, service fee, health service fee, AFMFA fee, library/IT fee. In addition, the fellow will receive partial payment of the graduate student health insurance fee per semester as well as basic dental and vision coverage. The number of awards offered will depend on the level of funding available. The intent of the fellowship is to help students complete their dissertations. Accordingly, awardees are discouraged from holding multiple waiver-generating appointments.
The criteria used in making the awards include the significance of the research, as reflected in the nominee’s proposal and the letters of support, the student's productivity and efficient progress toward the degree as shown in the academic record, and the likelihood that the student will defend and deposit the dissertation by August 2023.
- Open only to currently enrolled doctoral students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Eligible students will be nominated by their department or program.
- Nominees must be enrolled in a program leading to the PhD, DMA, EdD, or JSD and should have completed all requirements for the doctoral degree except the dissertation. Only those students who have passed the preliminary examination by the nomination deadline and who will defend and deposit their dissertations by August 2023 are eligible for nomination. There are no exceptions to these requirements.
- Students who have already received a dissertation completion fellowship from another campus unit or an external funder are ineligible.
- Registration is not required at the time of nomination but is required during the award period.
Eligible students must be nominated by their department or program. Only two nominations may be submitted from each degree-granting department or program.
Materials should be submitted by Sunday, March 20 at 11:59 PM via Blackbaud. Users new to Blackbaud can see our instructions page.