2021 VIRTUAL SUMMER RESEARCH LABORATORY ON RUSSIA, EASTERN EUROPE, AND EURASIA
June 14 – August 8, 2021
Priority Application Deadline: March 3, 2021
The Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center (REEEC) and the Slavic Reference Service (SRS) at the University of Illinois are excited to host the 48th annual Summer Research Laboratory (SRL) program. Traditionally, the SRL is an in-person event, with scholars receiving support to travel to Champaign-Urbana. Due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, this year’s SRL will be held as a Virtual SRL(VSRL), with REEEC and SRS working to support scholars through remote, virtual programming, research assistance, professional development opportunities, and collections and database access.
This year’s VSRL is made possible by generous support from the US Department of State, through its Program for Research and Training on Eastern Europe and Eurasia Independent States of the Former Soviet Union (Title VIII).
WHAT THE LAB OFFERS:
- Designation as a REEEC Virtual Summer Research Laboratory Associate.
- Virtual research support for general and specialized queries throughout the Summer and beyond. Associates may also request a personalized bibliographic session with the Slavic Reference Service through Zoom.
- Access to digital and database collections of our Library for an extended period.
- A free of charge duplication service for University of Illinois Library materials. Restricted to 15 pages per request and subject to copyright restrictions.
- Thematic and skill-building workshop events as well as opportunities to present and discuss work in progress. For a list of topics, organizers, and dates, see below. A fuller abstract of these workshops may be found on our website.
Applications to the VSRL are accepted through an online portal, found here.
Applicants must provide a short narrative explaining their research project, and indicate how they will benefit from access to University of Illinois resources and participation in the VSRL. All applicants must also submit a short-form CV.
Frozen Conflicts in Eurasia: Origin, Status and Outlook - June 16-18
- Organized by: Cynthia Buckley (University of Illinois), Ralph Clem (Florida International University), and Erik Herron (West Virginia University)
Climate and Society in Eurasia: Past, Present, and Future - June 28 - July 2
- Organized by: Andy Bruno (Northern Illinois University) and Pey-Yi Chu (Pomona College)
A Woman’s Work is Never Done: Female Life and Labor across the Imperial, Soviet, and Post-Soviet Eras - July 10-11
- Organized by: Colleen Lucey (University of Arizona) and Alexis Peri (Boston University)
Media Culture in Balkan and Eurasian Muslim Communities - July 15-16
- Organized by: Laura Olson Osterman (University of Colorado Boulder) and Wendell Schwab (Pennsylvania State University)
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact the Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center (REEEC) at firstname.lastname@example.org