This event has reached capacity. If you wish to add your name to the waiting list, please email Heather Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois College of Law is pleased to announce a unique opportunity for its alumni to become members of the Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States in open court on February 25, 2019. The schedule of events, qualification information, and registration instructions are detailed below. Please email us with questions or to indicate your interest in participating.
SCHEDULE - Monday, February 25, 2019
Court will gavel at 10:00 a.m. and admissions to the bar will be the first item of business on this non-argument day. Our group will have breakfast at the court and the arrival time will be sent to applicants as we get closer to the date. Following our time (breakfast, bar admissions, tour and photos) at the court, our group will walk down to Charlie Palmer’s for lunch. After lunch, we will tour the United States Capitol Building.
In order to qualify for admission to the Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Have been admitted to practice in the highest court of a State, Commonwealth, Territory or Possession, or the District of Columbia for a period of at least three (3) years immediately before the date of application.
- Have not been the subject of any adverse disciplinary action pronounced or in effect during that three (3) year period.
- Appear to the Court to be of good moral and professional character.
- A completed application consists of a typed first and second page of the application, a Certificate of Good Standing from the Supreme Court of the State where the attorney has been practicing for the past three years (only one is needed) and the $200.00 application fee.
- The application can be obtained HERE - this admissions day will be a non-argument day.
- Send your application and application fee directly to the College of Law. The College of Law will submit one large application packet. Please make your $200.00 check payable to: ‘Supreme Court of the U.S.’ and date the check for February 25, 2019.
- All signatures on the second page of the application; applicant and sponsors, must be original and must be on the same sheet.
- Only the “Certification, Statement of Sponsors, Oath of Admission” sections need to be signed for group admissions.
- The deadline to submit your application and supporting documents to the College of Law is Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
- Mail the completed Application for Admission to Practice, Certificate of Good Standing, and a check for $200 (admission fee) made payable to “Supreme Court of the United States” and dated for February 25, 2019 to the following address by November 6, 2018:
University of Illinois College of Law
Office of Advancement
202 Law Building
504 E. Pennsylvania Avenue
Champaign, IL 61820
Attention: Heather Ball
To be considered for admission, the College of Law must receive both your online registration and mailed materials by November 6, 2018.
This event is limited to the first 12 alumni to RSVP, on a first come, first serve basis.
The seating capacity in the courtroom is limited. The number of guests is limited to ONE PER APPLICANT. Please inform the College of Law when submitting your application if you are bringing a guest. Children under the age of six will not be admitted to the Courtroom and there is no one to stay behind with children.
Please contact Heather Ball at email@example.com or (217) 244-0689 with questions.