Looking for private foundation grants for your nonprofit?
Come learn about private foundation funding and how to use Foundation Directory to target potential funders. Foundation Directory is the most comprehensive prospect research tool for fundraisers, with over 235,000+ grantmaker profiles. You will learn how to search for grantmakers who have funded organizations working on causes and with communities similar to those you serve. We will also discuss the advantages of Candid Badges of Transparency and how to earn one for your organization.
NOTE: This class is for nonprofit organizations looking for funding. It is not geared to individuals seeking grants.
Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Understand what a private foundation is
- Understand how to properly approach a private foundation
- Explain what Foundation Directory is
- Identify your needs in preparation for searching for grant prospects in Foundation Directory
- Research potential grant prospects using a project-based search in Foundation Directory
- Evaluate prospects for strong or weak fit using Foundation Directory
- Identify the options for accessing Foundation Directory
- Access resources for getting help with Foundation Directory
- Complete GuideStar’s requirements for a Candid Badge of Transparency
Sarah Rice, Research and Knowledge Services Manager: Sarah joined Forefront in 2017 as a part-time librarian and now oversees library services as well as helping plan and execute Forefront’s research projects. She enjoys aiding Members and the general public alike in their efforts to use information to serve their audiences, improve their organizations, and better the sector. Graduating from the University of Kentucky with an MLS degree, Sarah has many years of experience in both public and academic libraries. She served as the Learning Resource Center Manager for Strayer University and also organized a fandom convention while working at the Forest Park Public Library. Her volunteer work includes area sci-fi conventions and working as a deputy registrar. When not working or volunteering she enjoys The Great British Baking Show, chill video games, and collecting enamel pins.
Pamela Salela is an Associate Professor at UIS. She has an M.A. in Educational Policy Studies from UIUC and an M.S. from the iSchool at UIUC. She has been the coordinator of the Central Illinois Nonprofit Resource Center since 2005.