See the Mavis Future Faculty Fellows Page on the CS Student Awards Wiki.
The Mavis Future Faculty Fellows Academy is made possible by the generous bequest of Frederic T. and Edith F. Mavis. Dr. Mavis received his BS, MS, and PhD degrees in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. He was a professor of Civil Engineering at several universities and was the Dean of Engineering at the University of Maryland from 1957-67. He died in 1983. This fellowship is for students working on their PhD in the College of Engineering who are planning to become an engineering professor.
MF3 Fellows are admitted on a competitive basis. Selected fellows for the 2019-2020 academic year will receive an award of $2,000 for participating in the program, which is paid in two installments and is dependent on fellows completing the required milestones/assignments. Fellows will be announced by April 30, 2021.
- Advanced doctoral students (passed qualifying exam) in the College of Engineering who express an interest in academia are eligible to apply.
- Fellows must be enrolled as a full-time student during the fall and spring term while in this program.
- Mavis Application Cover Sheet Form (up to "Department Head or Department Point-of-Contact" field)
- Statement of Interest that describes why you want to participate in the program (1-2 pages max). Please address goals and accomplished you hope gain from this program.
- Statement of your career goals and interests (1-2 pages max).
- Copy of unofficial transcripts. Visit UI Integrate Self-Service and view Academic History. Save as PDF, HTML, or Word doc. https://apps.uillinois.edu/selfservice/
- Current Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Letter of Recommendation from your research advisor that includes a commitment to serve as your academic mentor and to send you to a professional conference to present research results within the next two years.
Materials should be submitted by 11:59 PM on Thursday, March 18, 2021 to Michelle Wellens (email@example.com).
NOTE: Students, submit ONE PDF named "Last Name, First Name - Mavis S21." Your advisor can send their letter of recommendation directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.